You can follow me through here and we can visit a while.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Breakfast on Our Vintage Inspired Outdoor Room

The weather has been so uncooperative here we haven't been able to enjoy our outdoor rooms like usual. If it's not windy and stormy it's hot and steamy. Nightime hasn't even given a little relief for the heat......until a few days ago that is, the evening brought a little respite and we were able to sit a spell. Excuse the pics these were taken after dark,


Go ahead have a seat. The chairs...you've probably seen before.....are retro rproductions. I know they're a little worn looking, but they are supposed to look old. Surprisingly the patina is under the finish of the metal, so the rust isn't flaking....hope it stays that way, but if not..out with the trusty spary paint can ;) The little metal table is a 40-50's find and it's topped by a vintage embroidered bridge table cloth.

This is a closer look at the table. Those are french knots and satin stitches! Just click to enlarge any of the pics for a closer look.
As I've said before a blank wall is my canvas. Can't stand an empty wall, soooooo
I fill it up! This metal flower cart is from Publisher's Clearinghouse..of all places. It holds all kinds of vintage finds, but on the bottom shelf is a wonderful 40's ceramic planter of a squirrel on a log. It has a detachable base of brass filigris.
Sorry for the darkness. If you look in the top right corner of the photo I have a set of 1960's CopperCraft birds. If you don't remember, CopperCraft was a Home Shopping Party back in the early 60's. My Mom had one of those parties when I was around 10...no these aren't from that party..these were found at an antique mall for $5.00 a set!?
This pic is from last year. This part of the wall hasn't changed much. There are the birds and on the left is a wonderfully rusted wrought iron and hand-blown amber glass candle lamp made in Mexico back in the 50's. I found it stuck in the In-laws basement. Jim's other 8 Bros and Sis's thought I was nuts wanting that
'old thing', but now when they see it on the wall, they laugh, they can't beleive it fits right in.
Here's a better pic of the wall over the flower cart.........The hurricane lamp is a 1960's blue glass..it matched the blue Ball jar that hold citronella tealights. The Brown Tranferware is from the 40-50's. Made in England, it is a souvenir of Lincoln's Birthplace. Alas, it had a chip and a crack, well......for a $1 I added a floral design over the chip and I don't notice the crack ;) the little cup on top of the books is it's match. I found that in Kentucky for another $1. The two new floral prints are from the 40's thier 'new' frames are 50's
Here's the porch swing with it's new Throw. I know I showed a throw in the Wedding Ring pattern in a previous post, but I had to take it back to Wal-Mart.....the sewing was a little wrong...so I exchanged it for this one. I think I like this pattern better on the porch anyway.
The 'coffee table' is a modern nesting table of tubular metal and fiberboard. I whipped out Jim's trusty staplegun and some 1960's ticking and broadcloth and it covers that right up. The apple basket is a Christmas gift. I thought at first the muslin and tatted edging were old, but my MIL said no, but it reminded her of things I had around the house. The Train lantern is new too. My parents picked it up for Jim since he loves trains. And, see that  little Cruet with the flowers...well, that 1960 calico and gingham cutey was a set on a wooden holder in an antique shop in Indiana......I looked at it..walked away..and you guessed it..the other cruet fell to the floor. I think this little guy pushed the other so I'd have take him home, but it does match the throw.
This pic is trying to show our newest lighting by the swing......2 more large Train Lanterns. but they are finished in a rusted patina..yea....we found those a few weeks ago up in Northern Ohio Amish Country. There is another in the first pic you see  over the table with the cloth. When lit they give off quite good lighting, and being citronella oil, we have no bug troubles.  By the by have you noticed that wasps and mosquitoes are out this Summer a lot...at least not around our house...and I think I figured out why. We've had a lot of Wasp Killer Hornets around lately ( they look like a cross between a horsefly and a hornet to me) and Bats. The park near us..across the road actually...has had a push to bring in more bats to the area....it must be working, at dusk we see a whole bunch of the little guys doin acrobatics catchin thier dinner. It's all good to me..as long as I don't get Bats in my belfry, LOL, with the woodpeckers thinking our cedar siding is one mother lode of tree...but that is another post.


This seating area is across from the wall. The table is a 1960 find it has silver metal that matched the retro chairs perfectly and redwood. Of course I cannot have any room without my aluminum. The bowl is a very abused peice of Rodnet Kent Tulip pattern that I fill with fruit, or I take a clear bowl with chips and put inside it for serving. An Ivy tealight holder was another Christmas and an Aluminum coffee pot and creamer sugar are finds from the Longest Yard Sale a while back. Believe it or not they were found at 2 separate dealers mile apart! Of course my Pigeon Forge Pottery Bears are front and center and a wicker and aluminum basket I found at Home Goods is filled with very old (almost 20) gourds to round out the vignette.
These colored glass candle orbs and barn wind chime hang over the table and............
a set of these 1940's plaster pansies hang on the posts on either side.


The temps and humidity have broken for a few days now......woohoo!
We can have a weekday breakfast on our porch swing before we leave for work...........................................................



This morning we're using graniteware bowls, Onieda stainless spoons. The berry bowl filled with blackberries and raspberries is a 1940's  Calico Fruit lidded dish..I'd love to be able to tell you the Maker, but it's been long ago worn off.  The Strawberry sugar bowl is part of a cream and sugar set also from the 40's. I just found the vintage Amber milkbottle and the Frosted Flakes box was a collector issue reproduction I got at the grocery store several years ago.
 




This is my vintage inspired outdoor room. I'm glad you stopped by and sat with me a while today.
I hope my outdoor room has given you some ideas for your own and, yes, I do add seasonal accents all year round and I'm always adding things. LoL I'd love to add a ceiling fan and rug...some type of blinds on the swing side so that when it rains it dosen't come in on you........I've got oodles of ideas, but I enjoy doing it little by little.

I'm hoping to show you my Kitchen porch sometime soon.
This week I'm going to be linking into Etsy Cottage Styles Vintage Alphabet party, Sue's Rednesday/Wednesday at It's a Very Cherry World and Sue at Between Naps On The Porch for Tablescape Thursday.   Let's take a stroll over thru here and visit all the other wonderful blogs.
Etsy Cottage Style           It's a Very Cherry World        
I'm also joining Tara at Graphic Designs and all the participants at the Blog Hop. Grab the link and code below if you'd like join in.

27 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Melody! I love those bears!
Love the chairs, too. Would you believe I have the original chairs that are similar to yours. They belonged to Goodman's mother and were included in his part of the estate. One is a rocker. The glider that belongs to the set is in bad shape, not fixable, but the chairs are nifty. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melody! Thought I would stop by and say hi! It has been a HOT summer and it has been so difficult to enjoy the outdoors. At least it is a little better this week. Understand about needing the air fixed in the Van. Can't live without it lately. Well hope all is well with you.
amy
A Royal Nest

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Melody,
Such a darling porch and so cozy too!! Makes you want to be outside and enjoy the stars...I didn't realize that you had a Link Party going on! I linked up.
Hugs,
Cindy
xo

Anita Diaz said...

Oh my gosh, there is so much to love, and I love it all! I really love that amber Mexican lantern and the coffee pot. I also love that style chairs. What a great place to be surrounded by such great things all with stories to tell! Thanks for stopping by and posting about the giveaway!! This is my first attempt at French anything, so I had no idea about the basket, lol!! Thanks for the info!! I just got some more of the 1956 "Brookpark" pink melmac dishes and I cannot wait to do that table. I just love anything not new!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Melody,
I am always so inspired when I visit you. I just love your outdoor space and all the details that make it so cozy. The metal chairs are a favorite of mine. I have a set that were my parents from the 40's. They are still in excellent condition. I have painted them many times.

I hope you get some better weather to sit outside. We are wishing for cooler temps here too. Today was again 105 and miserable.

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. Always great to see you.
Hugs, Celstina Marie

Niesz Vintage Home said...

What a lovely spot to sit and enjoy the nice weather (finally!).

I'm working on my vintage alphabet post...N and O are tough!
I think I'll do needle books and maybe Ohio Pottery.

Take care,
Kimberly :-)

Cathy said...

OMG, we had chairs like that when I was growing up. Wish I still had them! BTW, just wanted to send ((hugs)) your way for your sweet comments on my blog. They really mean more to me than you could possibly know! :-) Take care, my friend! Hugs, Cathy

Marlis said...

love your porch.. so cozy and comfy..

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How fun and what a step back into time on your vintage porch.

Deanna said...

Like your style!!!
Vintage is so much fun that it always gets my attention.

God bless,
d from homehaven

Allison Shops said...

Love the lantern. Vintage is always best in my book too. Stop by Atticmag and see my post today - Classic Trends.

Some news: We're staring a Giveaway Friday! link-up party this Fri. 8/27 plus we are giving away custom backsplash! Hope you'll join us.

Allison
Atticmag

The Tablescaper said...

Sweet porch filled with many treasures.

- The Tablescaper

Entertaining Women said...

Such a blessing to have a wonderful outdoor retreat. I might figure out a way to work from those chairs. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

SueLovesCherries said...

Oh, Melody! I'd love to come over and sit down there with you for a nice long chat! It looks so cozy and homey!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Hi Melody!
Your outdoor room is so charming! It looks so welcoming and inviting, the perfect place to sit with your dear ones and catch up or dream of faraway places.

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Lola said...

That outdoor room looks so peaceful and charming!

What a lovely blog you have too. Will be back soon to read through earlier posts…

Happy Rednesday!

LOLA:)
btw My Rednesday post is here!

Barbara said...

I enjoyed looking at each and every detail in this charming space. You have a collection of such lovely things.

Sue said...

You have such a fun collection of treasures! Some I remmember from my childhood. I love the chairs...I keep watching to find some old ones that I can restore. I enjoyed my visit!

Shirley said...

Hi Melody, Thanks for a trip down memory lane. I have a set of chairs and a glider like yours only mine need to be painted. They were my in-laws. They were on their screen in porch and we would sit in the glider many of times with the kids when they were tiny.
We have had some cooler weather lately after a bad storm this past Friday. We have been starting the days out in the 50's and only getting into the lower 80's. It is a great improvement from the triple digit heat index. It is getting late so I better get to bed. Have a great day. Your Missouri Friend.

Requi Tablescaping Escapades said...

Melody, I enjoyed sitting a while enjoying your outdoor room. I love your flower cart. It's a great place to serve a cup of tea, iced tea, and lemonade.

All the Best,

Requi

Anonymous said...

I like your outdoor room, Melody. It's delightful and full of homey goodies :) I could sit a spell there~

Angela said...

Girl, I'm so loving your porch...my daughter joined me and was busy reading and looking at the pictures over my shoulder. She loved the quilt too (I had commented, 'wouldn't you just love to sit there').

I have to share with you from your comment to my blog post, JUST yesterday I had prayed to St. Anthony and St. Joseph, as I journalled....I can just cry girl...your right...in my journal I had ALREADY thanked them for being with my hubby and my sons and 'bringing back to us all that was lost',

Your such a blessing to my heart...((hugs))

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We LOVE your porch Melody! Of course, we already did, but now that we see the WHOLE thing, we love it even more! Know what you mean about the heat....same here! Last week & this have been absolutely gorgeous & we've been able to use our porches as well - Yea!!! Love your squirl...reminds us of our grandpa - we had to giggle! He had a stuffed squirl (loved going squirl hunting!) under the TV console :)
Thanks for the tour....your abode is very welcoming!!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Great porch. I love seeing it every time you share pictures of it. I hope the late summer/early fall gives you more opportunities to sit a spell out there.

The Charm of Home said...

Melody,
Wonderful vintage items! Really nicely displayed. I found one of those chairs one time in front of the dumpster at my husbands store. I thought, wow, who would throw that away. I brought it home and thought I really had found a treasure. Sat in the chair and it laid back till I was looking straight up at the sky (on my back)! LOL The kids called it my "moon" chair. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

You sure know how to do vintage, Ms. Melody. ;) You porch looks like such a fun place to play.

Thanks for linking to my party last week. Hope to see you again this week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

KitschKrafts said...

I just love this porch area of your home. It's so cozy!