You can follow me through here and we can visit a while.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Vintage Alphabet 'B' is for......

It's time again for the Vintage Alphabet. This months letter is 'B'. Many of you describe yourselves as Serial Collectors.  Well, I too must admit I belong to your ranks and like you, I have many collections. I wasn't sure what to choose for this months letter. My Bakalite drawer pulls on my vintage bedroom suite? Vintage Books, vintage Buttons, vintage Brooches? I decided one of my most useful collections are my vintage 'B'owls. Whether pyrex, ceramic, glass, or aluminum I cannot pass up a vintage find of the 1930-60's .
These are a few of my favs.
As most of you know aluminum is my weekness. This Morning Glory hand-wrought aluminum bowl has a Limoge china inset. It was created by Farberware in the 30's or early 40's.

These next bowls are Pyrex from the 30's-60's They usually come in sets of 3 or 5.



This is a clear glass with flower garland. I placed an aluminum bowl inside just to make the pattern easier to see.












The next picture is of a 1930-40's covered bowl. I also have a larger, matching, covered bowl, but the pattern isn't as clear.

These bowls were so love worn that the manufaturing lable is no longer clear. It does say oven-proof, made in  the U.S.A., and it's the Calico Fruit pattern.

This hand-painted porcelain grape motif bowl was a gift. It has no marking, I'm not sure it's date..my guess from color and paint....early 1900's? I just love the warm colors.

My final photo is of my Blenko Glass fruit bowl.




It still sports it's original tag.
And is filled with 1940's wax fruit.
As with all serial collectors, a collection is never complete. Ever changing patterns, kalidescope of colors, shapes, and forms, keep the search ongoing. That's the fun of vintage collecting.
Now I am posting this Vintage Alphabet in conjuction with my friends over at Etsy Cottage Style Blog.
Pop over and visit and while there sign up to Mr. Linky and join in the fun showing off  your fav vintage find that begins  with a 'B'. I'll see you there.

Remember, to join in go to http://www.etsycottagestyle.blogspot.com/ and click the Mr. Linky sign in.

16 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Those are wonderful vintage collections, I love vintage!!~

deb said...

Just gorgeous! Love your collection
*hugs*deb

Shirley said...

I love your bowls. I have been dug out the second time since Friday, but I got told to stay home from work. This weather sure doesn't help business. At least our neighbor, whoever parked in his own driveway. Saturday there was one that was in our driveway. The snow was over the top of my snow boots. At least it is giving me some time to catch up with my blogging and etsy friends. I am sharing my computer with my son so sometimes it makes it late when I get to post. He is sleeping right now which he needs. Take care. I hope you don't get the snow. Your Missouri Friend

The Charm House said...

Love your bowls. I also love bowls and have a great collection. I display many of my vintage collections in them.
Have to think of something good B so that I can join in!!
Yvette

Debbi said...

Melody, that grape bowl is awesome!
It is most likely German or Austrian, pre WW2. Thanks for sharing all your lovely vintage!

Chris said...

Such lovely things to see!

Char said...

So many pretty things and I couldn't choose a favorite if I tried. I love bowls and can never get enough of them. I am playing this week, but I need to get my head wrapped around all the possibilities......love it, Char

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Hey Melody!
That's quite a collection, just lovely!
I wish I had more room to display some of my pretty bowls, but sadly most of them are behind closed doors.
One day I'll have a big kitchen with open shelving. :-)

off to check out some other B collections...

Kimberly

Elizabeth Fedorko said...

What a fabulous collection!~~~XXOO, Beth

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

WOW, what a wonderful collection of vintage bowls!

Thank you for stopping by! Are my mom's bowls Pyrex? I don't know anything about them. Cool! Do you know about how old they are? I was born in '54 and I can remember these bowls from when I was a child.

((Hugs))

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Thank you so much, Melody, for all the info.

Duh, why didn't I think to look on the bottom, LOL, which I just did and there are no markings.

I suspect she probably bought these more than likely sometime in the 40s (she and my dad married in the mid-30's at the young age of16).

I'll have to ask one of my sisters and see if they remember.

I really have never given much thought to these until blogging!

((Hugs))
Marsha

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Hi again!

Wow, what a treasure you have in that bowl!! If only it could TALK!

Yes, the pattern on the bowl is raised and it's kind of "grainy" not smooth :)

((Hugs))

SueLovesCherries said...

I had a friend who had that same exact aluminum bowl hanging over the fireplace in her Victorian kitchen. I always envied her for that item! And, now I envy you, too!

You have a very nice collection of bowls!

Cinderella Moments said...

That morning glory bowl is fabulous!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I have not forgotten about the Vintage Alphabet. I promise to get my act together and join. Please do not give up on me. I get over whelmed with all the things I need to do and just forget. I love your bowl collections. I have an aluminum plate very similar to yours. I will have to show it to you. When I can no longer find a place for it, I know where it needs to go. Blessings, Martha

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Hey Melody! We thought those groovy glasses would make great votives as well (great minds...!!)
Love all of your bowls. I don't think I've really ever seen aluminum ones - that was VERY interesting! I LOVE the grape bowl - I've got a thing for fruit plates & bowls!!
Have a super week :)